Printout from Bridging the Years:

Oil Dock at Eastham

Oil Dock at Eastham

T1591. On January 19th 1954 a new dock was opened by the Manchester Ship Canal Company - the Queen Elizabeth II Dock. Building of the new dock began in 1949, with the workforce consisting of six hundred men and women working around the clock for the first three years. The entrance to the new oil dock is just before the entrance to the Eastham Locks, which is the gateway to the Manchester Ship Canal, therefore solving the problem of getting large vessels up the Ship Canal. However as the demand for oil grew so did the size of the tankers used to ship the crude oil around the world. A new facility was developed at Tranmere, which opened on the 8th June 1960, and this was able to handle vessels of 65,000 tons. There was a pipeline from the facility to the Stanlow Oil Refinery.
PublisherSalford City Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Unknown
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographic prints - Colour
Formatdimension.H - 101mm
dimension.W - 149mm
IdentifierA.414.01
SourceSalford Local History Library / Frank James
LanguageEN
Relation
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Queen Elizabeth II Dock, Eastham (O.S. Reg: 336780, 380870)
RightsUnknown