Printout from Bridging the Years:

Partington Old Coal Chutes Still Standing, Partington Coaling Basin

Partington Old Coal Chutes Still Standing, Partington Coaling Basin

T1569. Creating the coaling station allowed the collieries of Lancashire and South Yorkshire closer access to the sea. The steamships using the Ship Canal could stop at Partington on their outward journey to refuel before going on to their port of destination. The export of coal via the canal took some time to develop. Douglas Farnie in The Manchester Ship Canal and the Rise of the Port of Manchester comments 'The export traffic of the Canal was dominated in volume by the bulky commodities of coal and salt but in value by cotton manufactures and machinery. Coal supplied the largest tonnage of exports from 1894 until 1951 and the second largest tonnage after oil from 1951 to 1961.' The increasing trade in coal and the growth of the resulting rail network turned Partington into a great railway depot. The coal chutes used to load the coal onto the ships can be seen to the left of the photograph. The railway trucks carrying the coal from the collieries travelled right up to the ships and then tipped directly into the ships holds or bunkers. The machinery was all hydraulically operated, making loading easier and quicker.
PublisherSalford City Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Unknown
Datecreation - 1984
TypePhotographic prints - Colour
Formatdimension.H - 100mm
dimension.W - 149mm
IdentifierA.414.01
SourceSalford Local History Library / Frank James
LanguageEN
Relation
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Partington Coaling Station (O.S. Ref: 372080, 392440)
RightsUnknown