Printout from Bridging the Years:

Grain Elevator No.1

Grain Elevator No.1

T1437. One of the most impressive structures at the Salford end of the Manchester Ship Canal was No.1 Grain Elevator. Built on Trafford Wharf, the Elevator was capable of holding one and a half million bushels of grain in its 268 bins. An American, John Metcalf, was responsible for its construction. It was opened for use in 1898. Unfortunately it was the victim of German raids during World War II, burning down after being hit by an incendiary bomb in 1940.
PublisherTrafford Metropolitan Borough Council
Contributor
Creatorattribution - Unknown
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographic prints - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 203mm
dimension.W - 254mm
IdentifierK2/5
SourceTrafford Local Studies Centre / Manchester Studies Collection
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - Original Photograph
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Trafford Wharf (O.S. Ref: 380220, 397100)
RightsUnknown