Printout of a story from Aviation Heritage:

The Bristol Freighter/Wayfarer Type 170

Back in 1928 the Air Ministry placed an order with the Bristol factory for the design, construction and testing of a metal multi-spar wing. The design was first used on the Type 130, commonly known as the 'Bombay', which first flew in 1935. This proved to be a quite successful venture, despite a few shortcomings and whenever war work allowed, the factory team worked to develop its potential as a transport.

This development was further helped by the factories need to build a 'bread and butter' aircraft whilst vast amounts of money were being spent on the Brabazon project.

The Type number 170 was applied around this time, 1944, but applied to a Buckingham project, later abandoned. Civil specification 22/44 hardened into the Type 170 and became a twin engined high wing monoplane of a simple easy to maintain design. Fixed undercarriage was chosen to simplify and reduce cost, 'clam-shell' nose doors hinged vertically, a freight capacity of about 1,700 cu ft and two Perseus engines of 1,000 bhp each.

Bristol Freighter