Printout from The Last Main Line:

The Blackfriars Tessellated Roman Pavement, Leicester.

The Blackfriars Tessellated Roman Pavement, Leicester.

L3052. The Blackfriars tessellated Roman pavement is believed to have been constructed around 150 AD. It remained hidden until 1832 when it was uncovered in the basement of a house at 53 Jewry Wall Street. This house was later demolished to make way for the Great Central Railway's Leicester Central station, but a special chamber was built around the mosaic (beneath the station) to protect it and provide public access. It is in this chamber that this photograph was taken at an unknown date.
qkwRoman Mosaic
alt_title
themescommunity histories
subjectArchitectural decorations & ornaments - Mosaics
building materials - tiles
buildings - Building construction
Historic sites - Archaeological sites
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
railway stations - station buildings
Publisher
ContributorLeicester City Council
Creatorpersonalname - Unknown
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 168mm
dimension.W - 215mm
Identifier736 ' 1977
SourceThe Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - Museum History File - 736 ' 1977
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Blackfriars Street, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304600)
Location.Current Repository - The Jewry Wall Museum, Leicester
period - Unknown
RightsLeicester City Council