Printout from The Last Main Line:

Mosaic Chamber at Leicester's Great Central Station

Mosaic Chamber at Leicester's Great Central Station

L2455. During construction of Leicester's Great Central Station, builders rediscovered a forgotten Roman mosaic. This archaeological treasure became a feature of the station, and a room known as the Mosaic Chamber was built around it. Photographed around 1898, these glass panels formed the top light of the Chamber, allowing passengers standing on the platform to look down and see the mosaic for themselves.
qkwRailway Station
alt_title
themescommunity histories
subject
Bridges - viaduct
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
railway facilities - railway stations
railway stations - platforms
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1898
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 120mm
dimension.W - 160mm
IdentifierNewton - Y 6/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Great Central Station, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458200 304700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1898
RightsLeicestershire County Council