Printout from The Last Main Line:

Navvy mission hall

Navvy mission hall

L2443. Although it is known that S.W.A. Newton photographed this navvy mission hall on 14.4.1903, its location remains unclear. As the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line was being constructed at that time, the hall was probably located at a village in Buckinghamshire. The reputation that navvies had for being lawless, unruly and even godless people may, by the early 1900s, have been largely false, but many churchmen and moralists still considered the navvy to be in need of guidance. To this end, the Navvy Mission Society provided buildings such as this corrugated metal hut for communities of navvies to receive religious instruction.
qkwNavvy Mission
alt_title
themescommunity histories
subjectbuildings - Navvy mission hall
buildings - Temporary buildings
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
railways - railway construction & maintenance
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - 1903-04-14
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 117mm
dimension.W - 163mm
IdentifierNewton - Y 3/1
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Unknown
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - 1903-04-14
RightsLeicestershire County Council