Printout from The Last Main Line:

Leicester Central Station

Leicester Central Station

L2051. Leicester marked the GCR's midpoint between London and Sheffield and therefore was equipped with locomotive servicing facilities and a substantial station, although not nearly as impressive as that at Nottingham. This February 1977 view was taken from Great Central Street and shows the frontage of the old Leicester Central Station which had closed eight years previously. Originally built with tall, false gables and a clock tower, these were replaced by the shallow plain brickwork (seen to the right) sometime before the station closed. Note the 'British Railways' totems still fixed to the new brickwork.
qkwFormer Station
alt_title
themesengineering achievements and industrial archaeology
subjectBridges - railway bridges
Buildings - Abandoned buildings
railway facilities - railway stations
Railway tracks - disused trackbed
railways - railway closure
Reclamation of land - Land use
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Hartley, R. F.
Datecreation - 1977-02
TypePhotographs - Black & White
Formatdimension.H - 127mm
dimension.W - 177mm
IdentifierDE 1897/151
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - DE 1897
copy of - Original Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Great Central Street, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458200 304600)
period - 1977-02
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsHartley, R. F.