Printout from The Last Main Line:

Bridge 414 - Dunton Bassett Tunnel

Bridge 414 - Dunton Bassett Tunnel

L1970. Photograph taken inside the 276 feet long Dunton Bassett Tunnel in May 1977. The tunnel had been completed in 1896 by the contractor, Topham, Jones & Railton who had built the section of the line between Aylestone and Rugby. The tunnel appears to be in very good condition without any signs of graffiti or vandalism. Only a thick crust of soot adorns the tunnel walls.
qkwBrick arch tunnel
alt_title
themesengineering achievements and industrial archaeology
subjectBridges - railway bridges
Buildings - Abandoned buildings
Railway tracks - disused trackbed
railway tunnels - abandoned tunnels
railways - railway closure
Reclamation of land - Land use
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Hartley, R. F.
Datecreation - 1977-05
TypePhotographs - Black & White
Formatdimension.H - 127mm
dimension.W - 177mm
IdentifierDE 1897/70
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - DE 1897
copy of - Original Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Dunton Bassett Tunnel, Leicestershire (O.S. Ref: 455200 290000)
period - 1977-05
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsHartley, R. F.