Printout from The Last Main Line:

Navvy mission reading room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Navvy mission reading room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

L1784. From the messages placed on the walls of this navvy mission room, it appears the religious instruction here was no less uncompromising than the furniture. Navvy missions were sometimes housed in purpose built huts, or like this one at Staverton, were placed in converted barns and outbuildings. These premises would have served those navvies at work on Contract No.4 (Rugby to Woodford), built by T. Oliver & Son between 1894-1899.
qkwMission Hut
alt_title
themessocio-economic context
subjectBuildings - Outbuildings
Buildings - Navvy mission hall
People associated with manual labour - Navvies
Railway Companies - Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 1/7
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Staverton, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453000 261000)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council