Printout from The Last Main Line:

Navvy mission room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

Navvy mission room at Staverton, Northamptonshire

L1783. A barn at Staverton, Northamptonshire, converted into a navvy mission reading room. Despite the navvy having lost some of the fearsome reputation he had acquired in the mid-nineteenth century, the 1890s were still subject to a moralistic Victorian tone, and the godless, unruly navvies remained ripe for conversion. Given the simplicity of the buildings, their furnishings and indeed the religious message found within, these stations often achieved substantial support from the navvy communities they served.
qkwMission Hut
alt_title
themessocio-economic context
subjectBuildings - Outbuildings
Buildings - Navvy mission hall
People associated with manual labour - Navvies
Railway Companies - Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 1/6
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Staverton, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453000 261000)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council