Printout from The Last Main Line:

Great Central Station, Leicester

Great Central Station, Leicester

L1736. Leicester Central Station, circa 1925. The clock tower and decorative gables of this distinctive facade were later replaced with a brick wall. A section of the viaduct which carried the Last Main Line across much of the city, and upon which the station platforms were built, can be seen on the far right of the photograph. Note the name on the delivery wagons parked at the Parcels Office: in 1923 the Great Central had become part of the London & North Eastern Railway.
qkwRailway Station
alt_title
themesengineering achievements and industrial archaeology
subjectRailway Companies - Great Central Railway
Railway Companies - London & North Eastern Railway
railway facilities - railway stations
Road transport - Car
Road transport - Van
Tramways - tram lines
Tramways - trams
Vehicles - Van
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorattribution - Unknown
Datecreation - circa 1925
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 205mm
dimension.W - 254mm
IdentifierDE 3736
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Great Central Street, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458200 304700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1925
RightsUnknown