Printout from The Last Main Line:

Demolition on Talbot Lane to make way for Leicester's Great Central Station

Demolition on Talbot Lane to make way for Leicester's Great Central Station

L1594. Demolition work on Leicester's 'Talbot Lane, clearing way for new station' (S.W.A. Newton's notes). On the right of the photograph is St. Nicholas Church. The task of constructing a Railway through an old and established city was no small challenge, and hundreds of properties had to be bought, demolished and cleared in order to make a path for the Last Main Line. Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton was the contractor responsible for building this section of the London Extension.
qkwDemolition
alt_title
themeschanging environments
subjectBuildings - church
construction - Demolition
Equipment - wheelbarrows
houses - Dwellings
People associated with manual labor - Navvies
Railway Companies - Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway
Railway Companies - Great Central Railway
railway employees - railway construction workers
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1895
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - J 5/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Talbot Lane, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458100 304400)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1895
RightsLeicestershire County Council