Printout from The Last Main Line:

Navvy turf cutting gang

Navvy turf cutting gang

L1246. Turf cutting gang at work on the site of Greenford Road Station (Sudbury Hill) near Harrow in Middlesex on 21st May 1902. This section of the Railway was the Great Western and Great Central Joint Line, built by T. Oliver & Son from 1901 to 1905.
qkwNavvies
alt_title
themesengineering achievements and industrial archaeology
subjectEquipment - Spades
Equipment - Wheelbarrow
People associated with manual labour - navvies
railway employees - railway construction workers
railways - railway construction & maintenance
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - 1902-05-21
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - C 3/23
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Harrow, Middlesex
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - 1902-05-21
RightsLeicestershire County Council