Printout from The Last Main Line:

Navvy Mission Room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire

Navvy Mission Room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire

L1237. A navvy mission room at Helmdon, Northamptonshire, circa 1897. Although by the 1890s navvies had shed some of their reputation for being fierce and unruly, Victorian moralists still considered them to be drunken and ungodly. Mission Halls could therefore be found along the route of the London Extension, and both navvies and their families attended services. This one was erected for those at work on Contract No. 5 (Woodford to Brackley built by Walter Scott & Co. of Newcastle upon Tyne).
qkwNavvy Mission
alt_title
themescommunity histories
subjectBuildings - Religious building
Buildings - Mission hall
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - 
Photographic prints - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - C 3/14
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Helmdon, Northamptonshire
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council