Printout from The Last Main Line:

Clearing of the Leicester Central Station site.

Clearing of the Leicester Central Station site.

L1228. S. W. A. Newton describes this as 'Bath Lane, Leicester, clearing for new station'. The MSLR had been fortunate to obtain compulsory purchase orders on all property in the direct path of the new railway, and many buildings had to come down in Leicester. This photo shows the demolition of the properties on Bath Lane, making way for the construction of Leicester Central Station. A navvy leads a horse and cart through the rubble which is piled up on the right. One of the buildings still standing is a public house advertising 'W. Sharpe & Sons. Celebrated Sileby Ales & Stout' on the rear wall of the property. A wheelbarrow can be seen fully loaded with bricks to be taken away. The demolition would have been carried out by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton who built this section of the London Extension.
qkwDemolition
alt_title
themescommunity histories
subjectAbandoned buildings - Building deterioration
Animals - Horses
Buildings - Public Houses
Buildings - Abandoned buildings
Construction - Demolition
People associated with manual labour - navvies
railway facilities - railway stations
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1895
TypePhotographic prints - Black & White
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - C 3/5
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Bath Lane, Leicester
period - circa 1895
Location.Current Site - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsLeicestershire County Council