Printout from The Last Main Line:

All Saints Church, Mixbury.

All Saints Church, Mixbury.

L3542. View of All Saints Church in Mixbury from the south west. Although renovated in Victorian times, the structure can be largely dated to the Norman period. 'Mixbury' itself means 'fortification near dung heap' : Beaumont Castle, no longer standing, lay to the north of the church, but the relevance of the dung heap is unclear! The area experienced great expansion during the 1880's, when the majority of the houses standing in the village today were built to cater for people working on expansion of the railways.
Publisher
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Date
TypePhotographs - Black & White
Formatdimension.H - 160 mm
IdentifierTBC C6/2.
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
derived from - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Mixbury, Oxfordshire(O.S. Ref: 460900 234000)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
point - circa 1898
Rights