Printout from The Last Main Line:

Beaconsfield town

Beaconsfield town

L3151. A deserted street scene captured around 1903 looking east along London End at Beaconsfield town centre. The Buckinghamshire town was an existing stop on the Great Western Railway, and became part of the Great Western & Great Central Joint line when an alternative route into the capital was secured for the London Extension in 1898, and opened for passenger traffic in April 1906. On the far right of the picture is the Saracen's Head pub, an Inn that is known to have had the same name since at least 1545. Despite its historic pedigree, the exterior timber beams are in fact a cosmetic addition made some time after 1890. Further along the row on the same side is the stone fronted property of Burke House, which together with its neighbour Burke Lodge once formed an Inn called The Crown, reputedly a haunt of Claude Duval - a local highwayman who was hanged in 1670. On the far left of the picture on the opposite row, at No.1 London End, is the house in which 17th century wall paintings were discovered in an upstairs room in 1966.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1903
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 160mm
dimension.W - 212mm
IdentifierNewton - 102/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 494500 190100)
period - circa 1903
RightsLeicestershire County Council