Printout from The Last Main Line:

Culworth Station under construction

Culworth Station under construction

L2919. Looking north from bridge no. 509 during construction of the Last Main Line's Culworth Station. Built to a typical island platform design, the station was in fact nearer to Moreton Pinkney than to Culworth, a village that was actually closer to the Banbury Branch. Visible beyond is bridge no. 508, a handsome brick arch occupation bridge that carried a foot path over the line. As this picture demonstrates, plenty of space was left for the extra tracks which it was thought would be required during the line's future expansion. Sadly, the optimistic vision of Sir Edward Watkin and the Great Central board never became a reality.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 162mm
dimension.W - 216mm
IdentifierNewton - 15/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Culworth, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 456400 248300)
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council