Printout from The Last Main Line:

Woodford Halse Motive Power Depot

Woodford Halse Motive Power Depot

L2914. Photographed around 1900, these are the substantial facilities that could be found at the Great Central's Motive Power Depot at Woodford Halse. Woodford's central location and its convenient links to other railway networks meant that the London Extension transformed this small Northamptonshire village into a thriving railway community. Indeed, the area occupied by the sheds, yards and sidings was probably not that much smaller than the village itself. Returning to the picture, the large gabled building is the carriage and wagon repair shop, immediately to the left of which ran the main line permanent way. Visible on the far right is a section of the loco shed, a still larger structure with provision to house sixty engines. The taller building lying between these two sheds is thought to have been an engineer's machine shop.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - S. W. A Newton
Datecreation - circa 1900
TypePhotographs - black and white
Formatdimension.H - 162mm
dimension.W - 216mm
IdentifierNewton - 14/4
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
Location.Creation Site - Woodford, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 454200 253300)
period - circa 1900
RightsLeicestershire County Council