Printout from The Last Main Line:

Construction of Hucknall Station, Nottinghamshire

Construction of Hucknall Station, Nottinghamshire

L2482. Two lines of contractor's temporary railway converge before passing beneath the girder overbridge at the site of Hucknall Station, Nottinghamshire. This was the first Great Central station south of Annesley, and it was built to a standard design that could be found replicated along the route of the Last Main Line. Just visible under the right hand girder span are the early signs of the station's single 'island' platform. When completed, passengers would emerge onto this platform by way of a covered staircase leading down from the centre of the bridge. Note the jagged wall of his this roughly hewn cutting: this would later be dressed by navvies to form an even slope leading down to the trackbed.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1896
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 158mm
IdentifierNewton - Z 2/31
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Hucknall, Nottinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 453100 348500)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1896
RightsLeicestershire County Council