Printout from The Last Main Line:

Rugby viaduct and signal gantry

Rugby viaduct and signal gantry

L2217. This girder structure is the south end of Rugby viaduct, built to carry the Last Main Line over the London & North Western Railway. Because of the obstruction caused by the viaduct, the LNWR demanded the Great Central pay for the erection of the enormous signal gantry seen here on the right. This section of the London Extension (Contract No.3, Aylestone to Rugby) was built by Topham, Jones & Railton between 1894-1899.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 160mm
IdentifierNewton - R 1/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Rugby, Warwickshire (O.S. Ref: 451600 275600)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council