Printout from The Last Main Line:

Engines in the yard at Loughborough Central

Engines in the yard at Loughborough Central

L2173. This industrious scene was captured on the Great Central preserved line at Loughborough in March 1978. Looking south along the line, the station platform and its wide cantilevered canopy can just be made out. The engine at the centre of the picture is KING HAAKON 7 (works no. 377), one of the last twenty one C Class locos built in Sweden in 1919. Interestingly, it hauled a rescue mission in 1940 that saved King Haakon 7 and his son Olav from the advancing Germans. The other steam loco is ROBERT NELSON No.4, and the diesel engine is ARTHUR WRIGHT, built by John Fowler of Leeds in 1952 for the East Midlands Gas Board.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Hartley, R. F.
Datecreation - 1978-03
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 127mm
dimension.W - 177mm
IdentifierDE 1897/273
SourceRecord Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - DE 1897
copy of - Original Negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Loughborough Central Station, Loughborough (O.S. Ref: 454300 319700)
period - 1978-03
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsHartley, R. F.