Printout from The Last Main Line:

Headgear at a shaft on the Catesby tunnel

Headgear at a shaft on the Catesby tunnel

L1884. This ramshackle timber structure was built to hold the headgear that ferried men and materials up and down shaft No.7 of Catesby tunnel. The wooden hut on the right of the picture housed the steam engine that powered the shaft's winch. Note the large stack of bricks piled beside the contractor's temporary railway, and the two Griff mineral wagons: the Nuneaton quarry firm was clearly providing some of the materials required for the tunnel's construction. T. Oliver & Son was the contractor employed to build this section of the Line (Contract No.4, Rugby to Woodford).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - P 5/1
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Catesby, Northamptonshire (O.S. Ref: 453000 257700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council