Printout from The Last Main Line:

Gang of navvies working at East Leake tunnel

Gang of navvies working at East Leake tunnel

L1843. Taken around 1897, this impressive photograph shows a gang of navvies at work on East Leake tunnel. Despite the fact that the Last Main Line owed much of its construction to the use of steam powered machinery, building a railway remained an extremely labour intensive exercise. Taking the London Extension across valleys and through hillsides meant that contractors were still required to employ huge quantities of men working with pick and shovel. The navvies pictured here would have worked for Henry Lovatt & Co. of Wolverhampton, the firm responsible for building this part of the Line (Contract No.2, Leake to Aylestone).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - O6/11
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - East Leake, Nottinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 453700 324600)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council