Printout from The Last Main Line:

Steam navvies by a brick arch bridge at Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

Steam navvies by a brick arch bridge at Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

L1791. With the ballast packed and the cutting dressed, this section of the Great Western & Great Central Joint Line appears ready for traffic. Beyond the handsome brick arch overbridge, six steam navvies and a long line of tipping wagons sit beside the permanent way, their work apparently done. Pauling & Co. of Westminster was the contractor responsible for building this section of the line (Northolt to High Wycombe) between 1901-1905.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1905
TypePhotographs - Black and white
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 162mm
IdentifierNewton - N 2/6
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 499500 189200)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1905
RightsLeicestershire County Council