Printout from The Last Main Line:

Steam powered excavator and tipping wagon, Birstall, Leicester

Steam powered excavator and tipping wagon, Birstall, Leicester

L1713. Ruston built 'steam navvy just south of Birstall Pit Lane', Leicester (S.W.A. Newton's notes). Forty three of these formidable machines were employed along the Last Main Line. Originally, there would have been no cab for the engine's crew, but, as with this example, contractors often fashioned their own from wood and corrugated metal. This section of the Railway was built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - M 5/3
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationcopy of - glass plate negative
part of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Birstall, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458500 309300)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council