Printout from The Last Main Line:

Quainton Road navvy camp, Buckinghamshire

Quainton Road navvy camp, Buckinghamshire

L1578. Navvy camp settlement by the Quainton Road railway line, Buckinghamshire, circa 1897. These hutted camps that were built by the contractors were a very significant improvement on the crude and inadequate living quarters that navvies had inhabited during the mid-nineteenth century. Walter Scott & Co. of Newcastle upon Tyne was the contractor who built this section of the Line (Contract No.6, Brackley to Quainton Road).
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - J 3/14
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Quainton Road, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 472800 219700)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council