Printout from The Last Main Line:

Bridge construction at Leicester

Bridge construction at Leicester

L1415. Girder underbridge being constructed at St. Augustine Street (now St. Augustine Road), Leicester, circa 1897. The large crowd that have gathered to witness the girders being raised into place, demonstrates that even by the end of the nineteenth century, such engineering achievements were still considered to be spectacular events. The bridge formed part of Contract No. 2 (Leake to Aylestone) built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - black and white
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - F 7/10
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - St. Augustine Street, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458000 304300)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council