Printout from The Last Main Line:

Viaduct construction, Leicester

Viaduct construction, Leicester

L1407. Construction of girder bridge on St. Augustine Street (now St. Augustine Road) in Leicester, circa 1897. This bridge formed part of the long viaduct that was built to carry the new Line across much of the city. The viaduct was built by Henry Lovatt of Wolverhampton, the contractor responsible for Contract No. 2 (East Leake to Aylestone) of the London Extension. A group of navvies can be seen operating a winch that is lifting one of the girders into position via a pulley and jib mechanism. This must have been a very delicate operation. Note the old West Bridge carved stone cornices in the distance.
Publisher
ContributorLeicestershire County Council
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographic prints - Black & White
Photographs - 
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - F 7/2
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - St. Augustine Road, Leicester (O.S. Ref: 458000 304300)
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
period - circa 1897
RightsLeicestershire County Council