Printout from The Last Main Line:

Contractors' 0-6-0 saddletank locomotive, ST. GEORGES.

Contractors' 0-6-0 saddletank locomotive, ST. GEORGES.

L1096. Manning Wardle & Co. 'K' class 0-6-0 saddletank, ST. GEORGES, No. 1003 of 1887. According to S. W. A. Newton's notes, this rear three-quarter view was taken on the 'Bank north of bridge over LNW', suggesting that is was taken close to the large lattice girder bridge (known as the Birdcage) that crossed the London & North Western Railway's tracks at their Rugby station. This section of line formed part of Contract No. 4 (Rugby to Woodford) and was built by T. Oliver & Son between 1894 and 1899. As with many of Newton's posed images, two members of the locomotive's crew stand on the footplate while another stands on the front buffer beam. This locomotive had previously worked on the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal and, in 1919, it was 'sent to Coventry' to the works of the Daimler Car Company who had bought the locomotive.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1897
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - CL 96
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Rugby, Warwickshire (O.S. Ref: 451605 275740)
period - circa 1897
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsLeicestershire County Council