Montage of transport images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the canal archive Link to the rail archive Link to the aviation archive

The Transport Archive

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Bridgewater Canal at Castlefield Manchester

Bridgewater Canal at Castlefield Manchester

Back to table of results
T2136. The Castlefield Wharf had been in use since 1765 for the delivery of the coal from the Duke's coalfields at Worsley to Manchester. This is a photograph of the Castlefield Coal Wharf area. On the left of the picture just behind the barrels is all that remains of the Grocers Warehouse, built on the site of an earlier warehouse called Henshalls Warehouse, which dated from the late 1780s. This stretch of the Bridgewater Canal had originally been the River Medlock.
PublisherTrafford Metropolitan Borough Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Unknown
Datecreation - Circa 1960s
TypePhotographic Print - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 163mm
dimension.W - 214mm
IdentifierGM.386.4.BRI.
SourceTrafford Local Studies Centre
LanguageEN
Relation
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Castlefield, Manchester (O.S. Ref:383100, 397500)
RightsUnknown
OS383100 397500