Montage of transport images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the canal archive Link to the rail archive Link to the aviation archive

The Transport Archive

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Four-wheeled, petrol engined engineers' inspection trolley near Denham.

Four-wheeled, petrol engined engineers' inspection trolley near Denham.

Back to table of resultsBuy this photo this link opens a new window
L1100. An unusual internal combustion engined, four-wheeled engineers inspection trolley - possibly of Drewry Car Co. Ltd, Teddington origin. It is seen near Denham in Buckinghamshire on the Northolt Junction to High Wycombe section of the Great Western and Great Central Railways' joint line, built by Pauling & Co. of Westminster between 1901 and 1905. It probably had a BSA, single cylinder four-stroke, air cooled engine - with a two speed gearbox and chain drive to the rear axle. Note the padded bench seat and the brass horns on either side. The driver is dressed in a typical chauffeur's uniform, with button-over front and fur collar.
PublisherLeicestershire County Council
Contributor
Creatorpersonalname - Newton, S. W. A.
Datecreation - circa 1903
TypePhotographs - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 118mm
dimension.W - 161mm
IdentifierNewton - CL 100A
SourceS. W. A. Newton Collection - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
LanguageEN
Relationpart of - S. W. A. Newton Collection
copy of - glass plate negative
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - Denham, Buckinghamshire (O.S. Ref: 503500 187500)
period - circa 1903
Location.Current Repository - Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland
RightsLeicestershire County Council
OS503500 187500